Currently Reading & Just Finished: Promise Of Fire & Kiss Of Steel

Last year and for a time before that, I suffered from a nasty reading slump. But it seems the answer is consistency. Nearly every morning, I grab a novel from my bedside table and I read for awhile. Sometimes it's just a chapter, a few pages, and sometimes I struggle to walk away. Whatever it is, I still try to get in some reading every day. And it seems to be working because I've read through about 6 books since last September. That may not seem like much to some of your powerhouse readers, but considering that I read only 4 books last year...

JUST FINISHED



When Nowhere Is Safe

Most people avoid the dreaded Whitechapel district. For Honoria Todd, it's the last safe haven. But at what price?

Blade is known as the master of the rookeries—no one dares cross him. It's been said he faced down the Echelon's army single-handedly, that ever since being infected by the blood-craving he's been quicker, stronger, and almost immortal.

When Honoria shows up at his door, his tenuous control comes close to snapping. She's so...innocent. He doesn't see her backbone of steel—or that she could be the very salvation he's been seeking. 

AFTER THE REREAD:
I enjoyed this book as much the second time as I did the first time. So glad that I decided to buy a physical copy for my shelves. I'm sure I'll reread it again years from now. This is just one of those books that are fun to return to.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I floated through this book. Gah, it was such a nice change from what I had been reading. Not only was it a good story, but the writing was good too! I know that it's popular for authors to rush out books as fast as possible these days, sacrificing the craft. However, there is truly something to be said for a well written sentence. My eyes just wanted to devour paragraph after paragraph. As far as stories go, this was a pretty standard Steampunk/Fantasy Romance. That is not a knock either. I very much enjoyed this book, which is why I read it so quickly. Anyway, the romance was lovely, the characters likable, the action exciting, and the world building fantastic. Highly recommend for any fan of the genre.
My Spoilery Thoughts: (view spoiler)

Recommended

Yes/No Checklist 
Sex: Yes
Gore: Yes
Rape: No
Magic: Vampires and other supernatural things.
Drugs: Alcohol & cigars

Star Categories 
Romance: 5 Stars
Action: 4.5 Stars 
Pacing: 4.5 Stars 
Writing: 4 Stars 
Plot: 4 Stars 
Overall: 4.5 Stars

Protagonist Meter 
Damsel-----*-----Badass
I particularly liked that the female protagonist wasn't irrationally weak. No she wasn't a badass, but she could pull the trigger of a gun when it was called for. I don't know why, but so many female leads seem to be incapable of doing even something as simple as that.

CURRENTLY READING


A Promise Of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.


This book has loads of hype, which I didn't know when I bought it. It just stood out to me on the bookshelf. So when I discovered that it was pretty popular, I was quite surprised. I'm very excited to start this book. It seems unique and I'm excited about a romance that continues on past the first book. Generally romance books follow different couples in each book. I enjoy that sometimes, but my first love will always be the epic saga.


This entry was posted on and is filed under ,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed.