Currently Reading & Just Finished: Taking On The Dead & Breathless

I've been in a bit of a slump. Slump isn't the right word for it either. A reading slump is when you can't find anything that you can get into. That's not my problem. My problem is that I simply don't want to read. The desire is gone.

I've theorized on twitter that this might be because I'm working so hard on my books. I'm writing and editing all of the time-- that's a lot of words coming at me everyday. So maybe, that's why my reading drive has been out of gas. My brain is feeding on my books.

Good news is that I think I might be getting the desire again. I'm still writing and editing a lot, so maybe this is a temporary feeling. Still I just finished BREATHLESS by Sophie Jordan. Breathless is a spin-off novella about the FIRELIGHT character, Az.

If you followed my YouTube channel this week, then you know that I recently read
the entire Firelight Series from beginning to end this year. I did a quickie video review here. While I did enjoy those books, I can't really say the same about this novella.

Breathless by Sophie Jordan
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

I should probably stop reading Novellas. I don't think they ever leave a lasting impression. This one was no different. It was well written. The romance was nice. The story was ok. Nothing exceptional.

Recommended *If you love the series enough to read it.

Yes/No Checklist:
Sex: No
Gore: No
Rape: No
Magic: No
Drugs: Presence of alcohol
Star Categories:
Romance: 4 Stars
Action: 2 Stars
Pacing: 4 Stars
Writing: 4 Stars
Plot: 3 Stars
Overall: 3.5 Stars
Protagonist Meter:
Damsel-*---------Badass
There's no action or excitement in this story to really give us an idea of how useful Az would be in a fight. However, she played the part of the damsel in the actual series, so I imagine it would be the same any other time.

View all my reviews

It took me longer to finish Breathless than it should have, because I didn't have the
drive to read and the story itself wasn't exactly a big draw either. But a few days ago I came across TAKING ON THE DEAD by Annie Walls. Its been on my mind ever since. A zombie novel. Just what I need. A good-old, gritty survival story.

My pure excitement for the book got me to finish Breathless this morning, which couldn't have take me more than 10 minutes. I finished it, opened up Taking On The Dead, and started reading. I didn't read a lot, just a few pages. Long enough to see the first zombie-- and it was GREAT! I'm already in love with the writing and the setting. I can't wait to keep reading.

Btw, when I went on to Goodreads to add this to my reading shelf, I noticed that a lot of you already had it added as a "To-Read". How dare you know about this awesome zombie novel with loads of potential, and not tell me! For shame. For shame on all of you ;P

Anyway, (Not that anyone ever comments, but just in case) what are you guys reading and what did you just finish. Anything good? Hiding any zombie novels that I should know about? Well, off to do some more editing. Talk soon guys! -Lindsay Mead

This entry was posted on and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed.